Friday, December 4, 2009

Funny People (2009)

- 3 Eberts


"You're my closest friend and
I don't even like you."


I had heard some bad things about this movie but it showed up at the library so I decided to see it and I am glad I did.
George Simmons, played by Adam Sandler, is a successful comic who learns he has a rare disease that is going to kill him. It doesn't seem like he has any real friends, so he hires one, Ira Wright (played by Seth Rogen) to write for him, but mostly just to keep him company.
The movie is a tragedy, but it is also a comedy. Most of the characters are comics. Some of their stuff is funny, most is not. The whole tone of the movie is bitter-sweet and it worked for me.
Real life isn't all good or all bad and this movie shows us that. There are some really funny scenes, like the one with the Swedish doctor

Dr. Lars: It's too early to know who's winning the fight: the medicine or the disease.
George Simmons: Did anybody ever tell you, you have a very scary accent?
Dr. Lars: You are a very funny man. I enjoy your movies.
George Simmons: And I enjoy all of your movies.
Dr. Lars: Which movies?
George Simmons: The ones where you try to kill Bruce Willis.
There were many good short scenes. One of my favorites was of RZA early in the movie saying "Otto is my Lotto" (you have to see it to appreciate it). There were also short cuts with famous comedians and people like Eminem and Ray Romano. Good stuff.
The movie went on a little too long. It started depressing - went to upbeat - then went back to depressing and then of course ended upbeat. There is the good and the bad and then we die : that's life. The switching transitions in tone made the movie very uneven. Overall, however, well it was well worth seeing.
Roger also liked the movie and gave it 3 and a half stars.

0 comments: