Friday, December 4, 2009

Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)


- 3 Eberts


Someone had suggested this to me and I thought I would put it into my Netflix queue. I didn't know what to expect, although I had heard it might be something like Spinal Tap, which it wasn't. I have to admit that I was fascinated during the first hour. I had never heard of the group Anvil, but these were real people, and their music was pretty good. I liked the guys and I began cheering for them.
As the movie moved along it became like a thriller or a mystery. I didn't know how it was going to end, but in this case I was hoping for the Hollywood ending. I hoped that their album Thirteen, would sell.

When no one picked up their album I was disappointed. Lips was a good guy. He was very intense but also very down to earth.

As a movie of following your dreams, Anvil was a tremendous movie. These guys had some limited success then chased their dream for thirty years.

It was really cool when Anvil went to Japan and there was a great crowd. And the Japanese crowd loved them, and Anvil sounded really good. I was a little disappointed in the ending. We never did find out what happened. I'm pretty sure however, that this documentary will at least let the guys make a living playing and that is all they really wanted to do anyways.

I'm going to agree with Roger on this one. He also gave it 3 stars.

0 comments: