Friday, November 27, 2009

Bruno (2009)

- 1/2 Ebert


I've spent most of the the past five years chasing down the movies I haven't seen from the NY Times Top 1000 movies, so I haven't seen many movies that were like Bruno in the past five years. As a matter of fact I haven't seen anything like this ever.
To put this in perspective, I liked Borat. Out of the about ten skits in that movie I thought 6 were funny. Some of the scenes were really funny, some were awful. The movie was very uneven.
I'm also a big fan of Monty Python. Two of my favorite movies are Life of Brian and Search For The Holy Grail. I have a pretty good sense of humor, I think, but there was absolutely nothing funny in this movie. Nothing!
Bad writing. Bad writing. But, somehow Roger gave it 3 1/2 stars! What! Did we see the same movie? Roger said in his review " The needle on my internal Laugh Meter went haywire, bouncing among hilarity, appreciation, shock, admiration, disgust, disbelief and appalled incredulity." I guess Roger and me just have a different sense of humor. I just felt sad when the parents were offering their children up to act in dangerous situations, Roger must have thought it was funny.
One of the worst movies ever made? Maybe. The National Film Registry should try to collect all copies of this movie and destroy them.
Please don't see it or rent it. They may get to make another.

0 comments: