Sunday, December 6, 2009

Goodbye Solo (2008)


- 4 Eberts

Movies like Goodbye Solo are the reason I first starting watching "At the Movies" back in the 70's. I saw so many good movies that Roger and Gene recommended, and no else I knew had ever heard of. As I watched this movie I was immediately reminded of that great Iranian film, A Taste of Cherry, which I loved and Roger hated (Click here for his review).
It's hard to describe why this movie worked so well. There were not a lot of dramatic things happening. We are just observing two lives as they interact with each other. But as the movie goes on and we begin to know William we begin to hope, almost desperately, that Solo can help him.
The movie has a documentary feel to it : the way it is filmed, the truthfulness of the dialogue and the ability of making every day scenes seem fascinating and real. I started hoping early that this was going to have a Hollywood ending and not be a tragedy. I usually feel just the opposite when I watch a film, but I really liked these characters and I didn't know if I was going to be able to watch it again if things didn't end well.
Solo, short for Souleymane, is such a good person. He is not perfect, he has his flaws, but he is the kind of person we should all try to be. He cares about people, even about people he doesn't know very well. When Solo discovers the picture of the movie theatre ticket seller in William's bag he suddenly know what is going on with William. He has had a grandson who he has had no contact with and he wants to see him and get to know him a little before he ends his life. When William punches Solo it almost feels like we are getting punched. But Solo is a great soul. When he approaches the movie theatre, even after all that William has done to put him off, you know that is really brave and selfless act that he is doing. He is without a doubt, a better person than anyone who is viewing the movie.
Goodbye Solo is a movie that really does not have much of a plot. But it was beautifully filmed and it somehow, almost magically, really made you care about its characters. A great, great movie. Roger really loved it too. He had a great line at the end of his review. "Wherever you live, when this film opens, it will be the best film in town." No one can say things like that better than Roger.

0 comments: