Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Wrestler


- 3 Eberts

I finally got to see this movie and I thought it was good. It was a tragedy and wasn't an upbeat story. Randy the Ram was only happy and successful inside of the ring.
I think that the movie would have been mediocre without the great acting performance by Mickey Rourke. It is one of those rare films where the role fits the actor like a glove and it is hard to imagine anyone else playing it.
The movie seemed to leave open the possibility for a sequel. I hope not. The ending, with what I imagined happened, made the movie whole and honest. If there is a sequel then it will diminish The Wrestler in my eyes.
If you don't like tragedies, you probably won't like this movie. If you enjoy seeing great performances you probably will.
Roger really liked it and gave it 4 stars. He said, "I cared as deeply about Randy the Ram as any movie character I've seen this year. " I have to disagree with Roger there. Randy was not a sympathetic character. He abandoned his daughter and when he had a chance to make it up to her he went out drinking with his friends. How could their dinner date not be the most important in his life to him? He didn't make it because he was a loser who only cared about himself and his heroic self-image. No Roger, I didn't care deeply about his character. But I liked the movie because it was honest. There are many people like Randy the Ram, particularly in the sports world.

0 comments: