Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Clockwork Orange (1972)

- 4 Eberts

I had this movie included in my list of Roger's Worst Reviews, so I figured I would have to watch it again.
Roger really missed the boat on this one. He starts his review by saying, "Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange is an ideological mess, a paranoid right-wing fantasy masquerading As an Orwellian warning. It pretends to oppose the police state and forced mind control, but all it really does is celebrate the nastiness of its hero, Alex."
I couldn't disagree with him more. Anyone that watches that movie, and thinks that Alex is a hero must be really twisted. Although there are warnings against the Orwellian state it certainly does not hold up Alex as someone to be admired. What makes the movie interesting is looking at the savage Alex and the State's response to him. Is it a reasonable response? Is it over the top?
He finishes his review by saying, "In addition to the things I've mentioned above -- things I really got mad about -- A Clockwork Orange commits another, perhaps even more unforgivable, artistic sin. It is just plain talky and boring. You know there's something wrong with a movie when the last third feels like the last half."
Wow! A Clockwork Orange boring! I have never heard that before. I can understand why some people don't like this movie. It is very violent, misogynistic and graphic. But the one thing it is not is boring.
This movie has an 8.5 rating on IMDB and has 6 directors and critics selecting it in the Sight and Sound Poll as one of the Top Ten movies of all time. Roger only gave it 2 stars in his review.
I think if Roger watched it again he would really like it. What makes it so good is that it is even more relevant today than when it was made.

0 comments: