Monday, February 16, 2009

The Reader Revisited


Today Jewish Scholars slammed The Reader as Holocaust revisionism. Mark Weitzman of the Simon Wiesenthal Center said, " Essentially, it takes a woman who serves in, is responsible for, is complicit in, you pick the words, in the death of 300 Jews and her big secret shame is that she's illiterate."
In my post on February 8th I said, "It was definitely worth seeing because Kate Winslet was tremendous but I just didn't get the story. Hanna is a monster. I never felt any sympathy for her. She had no trouble admitting she sent children who had read to her to their death or that she had kept a door locked as people burned to death but she couldn't admit that she was illiterate! "
I gave it 2 stars and Roger gave it 3 1/2.
____________________________________________
When I wrote to Roger's Journal echoing the above information and asking if he understood our concerns, Roger wrote back,
"Ebert: Yes, certainly. But I persist in thinking that the movie is about the boy and the pitiful man he became, and about the problems some members of postwar generations have in speaking out."

0 comments: