Friday, October 8, 2010

After Dark, My Sweet (1990)


I'm watching some of Roger's Great Movies, Book III, that I haven't seen. This movie, with its 6.5 IMDB rating was one of them. I admire Roger for going with a movie that not too many others would consider great.
To me, the movie was just OK, definitely not great. Bruce Dern 's acting was great, however. One thing that bothered me was that in the voice over they made it seem like Kevin was mentally impaired. He came off as a simpleton as he talked about himself.
The plot also moved along very slowly, although I did enjoy watching Bruce Dern, Jason Patric and Rachel Ward eat up the scenes.
I love noir, and this was a good attempt at neo-noir, but overall the whole thing was just OK for me. Well worth seeing, but great? Not in my book.
Great twist ending, almost rivaling 7even, but once again, not consistent with the voice overs.

0 comments: