Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rachel Getting Married


- 3 Eberts
In the middle of this movie I thought I was going to add this movie to my list of "Good Movies That I Don't Want To See Again". On that list I have movies like The Homecoming, Thirteen, Monster, Kids, Mystic River, American Me, Sleepers, Elephant, Leaving Las Vegas, Requiem for a Dream, Boys Don't Cry, Vera Drake, Breaking the Waves, Amores Perros, Freaks and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
I thought these movies were all good, but they were painful to watch, and I really didn't want to see them again.
Rachel Getting Married was painful too, but that was one reason it was so good. Anne Hathaway did a great job and it was easy to identify with her pain.
Ultimately the movie did show her grow. She was a really strong person. There was no Hollywood ending, but in the end I thought she was going to get well.
I also enjoyed the portrayal of the interracial families, not as interracial families, but just as families, coming together.
Roger really liked this too, and gave it four stars.

0 comments: