Wednesday, February 11, 2009

W.


- 2 1/2 Eberts

I was really looking forward to this movie but I was disappointed. It seemed like W. would be a fascinating life to look at but I wasn't happy with Oliver Stone's interpretation. I don't know if there was anything in the movie that wasn't true - it was the tone I didn't like. He would show W. doing something and then this goofy music would start and W. would do something stupid. I don't think the movie knew whether it was a biography, a drama and a comedy. The mixture of comedy and drama that worked so well in In Bruges didn't work here for me.
Roger found the movie fascinating and gave it 4 stars. He said "Unlike Stone's JFK and Nixon, this film contains no revisionist history." (Roger, it's a little early to be revisionist about a history that hasn't even been written yet).
I thought that it tried to be too much and ended up being just a shadow of what it could have been.

0 comments: