Sunday, January 18, 2009

Don't Take the Express


- 2 Eberts

I had heard a lot of good things about Pineapple Express. Roger gave it 3 1/2 stars. He said :


Pineapple Express has all the elements you'd expect from the genre: male bonding, immature sexual desires, verbal scatology, formidable drug abuse, fight scenes, gunfire, explosions. Yawn? Not this time. It's a quality movie even if the material is unworthy of the treatment. As a result, yes, it's a druggie comedy that made me laugh.

I don't know whether to worry about Roger or admire him even more. The movie with its sophomoric humor and writing aimed at the fifteen year old crowd made me grimace much more than it made me smile. This is a movie that has as its best line, as reflected by the discussion boards, "F___ the Police!".

I just don't get it. The only explanation that I can come up with is that Roger must have the ability to view a movie through the eyes of the group towards which the movie is aimed. If Roger has this Zelig like power then he is a true genius.

0 comments: